Thursday, June 19, 2008

Never ride with a worrisome mother

The other night, husband was working and Dad was in Lewistown for the week working so I gathered my mom and boys into her car and we hit the road for a short trip to Lewistown for dinner and then back. If any of you have the same mom that I do, you will realize what a feat it was to travel any amount of time on the highway with her and the two boys. The entire way I listened to, "You really don't have to pass that semi-we're in no hurry at all" and "Now watch Rach, I saw a car way up there doing weird thing..." . You get the point. The constant foot on the "fake" pedal and the clutching of the handle. It was too much. I even vowed to never drive a vehicle with her again for the rest of my life. Intense.
We arrive in Lewistown, have a great dinner at The Mint, walk a short trail and hit the road back for home. The same clutching and talking starts again from my mother. It was too much for this loud mouthed girl to bear. Going around 80 mph, I see a black cat way up the road starting to cross. "Weird" I think, and start to break a little so I don't hit and kill the cat. (Lucky for the cat, I wasn't my husband, because he would have gassed it!) Ok, back to the adventure.
So, the cat starts to cross combined with a worried mother who can't handle highway driving and an angry daughter who can't take one more comment from her... Well, out of nowhere (kids were sleeping in their carseats) I hear my mom YELL the word "DEER!". I will tell you the first thing I almost let out of my mouth is a sharp snap that goes something like this: " NO Mom, It's NOT a deer. It's a CAT! A CAT is not a deer! Quite worrying and go to sleep. God knows when you are going to die and nothing you can do will ever prevent it, so just relax! If we wreck and you die, it's God's will for your life!"
Let me tell you I am glad my little mouth and brain do not work very fast together, because no sooner than my mouth started to open did a massive deer fly up from the ditch and leap. At this point, I really don't know what happened because I did everything they tell you not to. I slammed on the breaks going 80 mph (apparently you are suppose to plow through large animals on the highway, and luckily there wasn't a car or semi behind us to slam into the back end) and I also CLOSED MY EYES. Yes, you read right. I knew we were dead and the car was totaled, so why keep your eyes open for it?? Mom said the deer jumped across the road after I slammed on the breaks so we are fine and the car is not totaled. Moral of the story: Never drive with your mom unless you are heavily medicated and when you are about to slam into a 250 animal going 80mph, close your eyes and slam on your breaks.

2 comments:

Brooke and Peter said...

great, great great story...not the reality of your near death experience but the total empathy I feel for you with the driving mom thing and the awesome way you told us that great tale.... i would have closed my eyes too.

Cortney said...

Ha hee haaaa haa. You two crack me up!

Plus I did the typing test and could only get up to 50