Monday, March 10, 2008

A first in 5 years...

Some of you may know that our first born has never done something most people do in the first 5 years of life..... Never. Ever. And up until this point, I was fairly thankful that he hadn't. Ok, so enough suspense- I'm probably building this up far beyond what it needs to be. Ok, he has never thrown up. I'm not talking baby spit up, although he rarely did that either, I'm talking puke. Like, "I'm sick mommy and my tummy feels bad" and then they proceed to puke on you and you have nasty stuff to clean up. This afternoon he had his first puke session. Fortunately, I was at the grocery when I received a hilarious call from Kris explaining his hour at home with said child. It went something like this:
Kris: "Well, your son finally did it"
Rachel: "Did what? Is he ok?"
Kris: " Well, he finally threw up for the first time"
Rachel: "Is he sick? He was fine when I left?"
Kris: "He's not sick. He swallowed a Gobstopper and freaked out. He thought that because he was swallowing something that needed to be chewed he was chocking. He kept screaming that he was chocking, even though he wasn't, and proceeded to cough so hard to expel the Gobstopper that he gagged himself and threw up everywhere."
Rachel: " Well, we knew he was dramatic. That's really funny."

You have to realize that while in the checkout I am laughing so hard I'm practically crying because I can hear him crying in the background like he just had a limb removed. The story got funnier however when I got home and got the rest of the story. It went something like this:

Rachel: "Wow, so I guess you had a fun hour,huh?"
Kris: "Well, it probably wouldn't be ALL over the kitchen if I hadn't done the heimlich maneuver on him."
Rachel: "What? I thought he was talking and breathing the whole time?!'
Kris: "Well, he was, but then he kept telling me he was chocking after the first round of puke and I thought maybe he really was so I started to freak out. I didn't even know where to push on him, but I started pushing on his stomach and he hurled a bunch more. After that, I realized that he wasn't chocking, he was just still freaking out from swallowing the Gobstopper."
Rachel:"So you did the heimlich maneuver on our son today even though you didn't know how to do it, and even though he really didn't need it?"
Kris: "Pretty much."
Rachel: "huh."

Life is our home is never boring folks, never.

6 comments:

Brooke and Peter said...

i am crying b/c I am laughing so hard... GREAT story... Thanks for the giggle in teh middle of my day!

Cortney said...

You have NO idea how MUCH I needed that!
I love you guys!!!

Laura Beth said...

THat is fabulous! I want to hear the story outloud the next time I see you :)

Ann said...

Rachel,

I am glad that he wasn't really choking....seriously scary. I love the blog thing....and checking out everyone's blogs. I feel bad that I haven't gotten to know you better yet! You seem like so much fun....hope you are coming to playgroup at my house tomorrow!

Amber Joy said...

That is so funny! I needed a good laugh out loud! I knew there was reason that I love you guys

Laura Beth said...

Where were you on Tuesday?!?