Thursday, January 10, 2008

Primal instinct, McDonalds and Motherhood and what they all have in common....


So a dear friend of mine, Cortney and I, were sitting at McDonalds this afternoon (you had already left Laura Beth!) chatting and letting the boys play in the playhouse. Out of nowhere we hear a scream (yes, a SCREAM) from a large man that his son is getting hit and who's kids are these, and yelling at the kids that they have no manners, etc... etc.. etc... I won't go into details because they really don't matter except to say that our boys were part of the involved party and in reality, the situation probably wasn't as bad as it appeared, although we really will have no way of knowing until we get to Heaven and ask God. The dad scared the living daylights out of everyone in the entire restaraunt and ended up leaving without talking to either of us. It really got me thinking because I have always loved my kids so so so very much but always feel like I lack "maternal instinct" with them. I feel like I have it, but that others have it much more and better than I. Then this situation hits. If you know me, you know my mouth cannot physically stay shut when I see injustice and even though our boys were partially in the wrong they did NOT deserve to be screamed at and have the living crap scared out of them either. If the dad had stayed around for longer I probably would have said some thing I regret but only because I want to protect my child and defend him when he couldn't defend himself. I huge man screaming at him is scary! That's when I realize I do have the maternal instinct with which I want to defend him from every bad injustice the world can throw at him- I also have the primal instinct though. One which we all have, the Mama Lion defending the cub. I think it's so cool how God made these beautiful creatures with these abilities to love, nurture and protect and how if we looked at them in comparison to us we would see a lot of similarities in the way God programed us. Well, except that Lion's probably don't go on play dates to McDonalds.

2 comments:

Cortney said...

Oh, I was laughing through this entire blog! Everyone, I was afraid that I was going to have to sedate Rachel. The parents acted ridiculous and it was unfortunate, the kids didn't get a chance to apologize which "reinforced" that "they had no manners". Colton felt terrible the rest of the day about the situation and brought it up a few other times in which we prayed for the little boy and his parents.
I love you Rachel! You are too funny.

Brooke and Peter said...

awesome story! what an idiot that guy sounds like, and Rachel - you DO have maternal instincts, i have seen them and yout boys are lucky to have you as their mom...