Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin Luther King Jr.

It just so happens that Kris is reading a book called "Son of a Preacher Man" by Jay Bakker (son of Tammy Faye and Jim). He is an amazing person and has really overcome a lot in his life. I'm just starting it now since Kris read it first, but I can already recommend it to you! Anyways, Jay Bakker also has a show on TV called One Punk Under God, which is all about his ministry at Revolution Church. We were watching it and he has this quote by Martin Luther King Jr. :
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr.
US black civil rights leader & clergyman (1929 - 1968)

I couldn't help but think how true this was. He made this comment in reference to a stance he takes on a biblical issue that a lot of people gave him flack about. It makes me wonder (and hope!) though- Am I the kind of person that will stand up and speak up for injustice happening around me (with people or with the environment?) How true this quote is- we expect bad people and bad things to happen in our lives, but when they do hit what we remember most is the people who stood in the background-able to help and speak up, but who chose to stay safe and say or do nothing. On this day, I hope you are inspired to defend all those who are persecuted in our world-just like Martin Luther King Jr.
Happy Monday.


1 comment:

Cortney said...

That's a really great blog! THanks!