Friday, January 11, 2008

All I want for Christmas is for life to slow down and no one buy me presents!






I promise, I am not a scrooge! This Christmas seemed more greedy, busier and "flashier" than most and I really can't pin point why. Maybe because I finally realized that I don't need "stuff". The best gift I recieved was from my brother and sister in law. It was a DVD home movie they made of their year. Pictures of my sweet little nephew and the trips they took last year. That, combined with some homemade dishrags (which I actually like more than store bought ones!) were the greatest gift. I went to Target a couple of days before Christmas and was just sickened by what I saw. People throwing things into their carts, being rude, not smiling as you walked by but looking at you in disgust as you strolled by and interupted their 10 mph pace. It just saddens my heart to think my kids are going to be raised in a world consumed by stuff. Now, know that I am not against giving gifts- in fact, it's one of my favorite things to think about someone and think of what I can get them that they want and need at the same time. I just am opposed to buying greedily without understanding why your buying it. Ok, enough about my Christmas rant. If you would like though, next year, Kris and I have decided to adopt a family at the YWCA and spend our Christmas money on them. Caed will revolt and be sad, but change is hard, and it's better to learn things like grace and compassion now then when your 30.
Here are some pictures of what we did over Christmas. Caed had two Christmas programs and was hilarious in each. Took a bow for himself and everything! haha. Get's that from Kris.
Marshall (my brother) decided to show us his full footed pajama's which made us die with laughter. He is truely the funniest person alive. (check out his music at www.marshallmcleanmusic.com) I spend the Christmas season feeding Riley and not sleeping, as you can clearly tell in the picture-hey, I'm about REAL LIFE photo's and the doesn't get much better! I'll attach some more for your viewing pleasure...

2 comments:

Brooke and Peter said...

I totally agree, get what you are saying and AMEN!!! Looks like a great christmas and perfect life Rachel. Caed cracks me up... he just looks hilarious!

Cortney said...

I echo you! I really feel the need to simplify my house. I totally admit to being an emotional shopper. When I was going through my divorce I used shopping to feel better. (Weirdo, I admit) I guess now that I am more emotionally stable, I really don't feel the need to fill my life with "things".

*Disclaimer- I still love shopping, but I am all about thrift stores, clearance racks and recycling.
I just have to control myself "just because its on sale"!